What to do
- Preheat oven to 335 F.
- Grease and lightly flour 2 10-inch cake pans.
- In a stand mixer or a mixing bowl + hand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until well incorporated.
- Add in applesauce, maple syrup, and vanilla and continue mixing at a medium-low speed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Slowly incorporate about half of the dry mixture into the wet, then on a low speed slowly stream in almond milk and beet juice.
- Add remaining dry ingredients and melted chocolate. Beat at medium high speed until smooth and creamy.
- Fold in chocolate chips. Let batter sit for 20 minutes, then divide batter evenly between cake pans.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
- Make sure butter is completely softened. If you need to do this quickly, microwave in 7 second intervals until soft, but not melted.
- Cream butter in stand mixer or in a mixing bowl with hand mixer. When light and fluffy, slowly incorporate powdered sugar (about 1/2 cup at a time).
- When fully incorporated, add remaining ingredients and continue mixing until light and fluffy.
- To frost cupcakes, use a piping bag or simply use a knife or spatula.
What you’ll Need
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp vegan butter, softened
1 1/4 tbsp cane sugar
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup maple syrup
3 tbsp vanilla extract
2 cups almond milk
1/2 cup Love Beets Beet Juice
3 cup gluten free AP flour
1 cup almond flour
1 cup oat flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup Love Beets beet powder
3 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp kosher salt
1 cup melted vegan chocolate chips
3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
Vegan Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
2 cup vegan butter, softened
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 ½ tbsp vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
1 ½ tbsp almond milk or dairy free creamer
¼ tsp salt
For topping: fresh berries, edible flowers