What to do
Make the Cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Mix the ground flaxseed (best ground in a spice or coffee grinder) with 3 tablespoons of water in a small bowl and let stand until jelled.
- Place the pecans in a food processor and pulse until finely ground. Add the coconut flour, beet powder, potato starch, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt and pulse to fully combine.
- With the processor running, add the coconut oil, maple syrup, almond extract, and flax egg and pulse until the dough forms.
- Roll out the dough between two sheets of parchment paper to about a 1/4-inch thick.
- Using cookie cutters cut out the cookies. The scraps of dough can be re-rolled an infinite amount of times until all cookies are cut. Gently slide a metal spatula underneath each cut-out (the dough is very fragile) and transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes until firm and lightly crispy on the edges. Let cool before icing.
- Keep the cookies on the baking sheet and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk to combine the confectioners sugar, beet powder, almond milk, and almond extract. If the icing is too thick, mix in a teaspoon of almond milk at a time to adjust for consistency. Transfer mixture to a piping bag or zipper-lock bag and close to seal. If using a zip-lock bag, snip the tip of the bag to desired size.
- Drizzle or pipe the icing over the cookies, creating your own festive patterns. Decorate with sprinkles or other toppings while the icing is still wet. Let the cookies set before removing from the pan. (Unless, of course, you need to eat a gingerbread man cookie right away!)
*These cookies keep well covered in an airtight container for up to 5 days
*Vegan, gluten free, paleo, refined sugar free
What you’ll Need
1 tbsp ground flaxseed, for the flax egg
2 cups pecans
1 cup coconut flour
5 tbsp Love Beets Beet Powder
2 tbsp potato starch or cornstarch
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cloves
½ tsp sea salt
1/3 cup coconut oil, room temperature
½ cup maple syrup
1 tsp almond extract
1¼ cups vegan confectioner’s sugar
Love Beets Beet Powder, (1 tsp for white/light pink icing or 1 tablespoon for red icing)
1 to 2 tablespoons almond milk
2 tsp almond extract
Sprinkles, for decorating