What to do
- In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil to medium. Add the chopped onion and celery and sauté until fragrant, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped apple and sauté an additional 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the minced garlic, ground mustard, thyme, oregano, and salt, and rice, and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and sherry and bring to a full boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover the pot and cook for 30 minutes or until rice has absorbed most of the liquid.
- Stir the dried cranberries, pecans, chopped beets, and parsley into the rice. Taste test the stuffing and add more salt if desired.
- Preheat your oven 350° F. Lightly oil a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish and scoop the rice into the dish. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until rice is golden and slightly crispy on top.
- Drizzle additional olive oil over the stuffing to keep moist. Serve with additional chopped parsley.
What you’ll Need
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 large honey crisp apple, peeled, cored and chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1 tablespoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1-1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
2 cups wild rice
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth*
1/2 cup dry sherry or white wine
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup raw pecans, chopped
2 8.8-ounce packages Love Beets cooked beets, chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
*You can also use vegetable broth to make this dish vegetarian