What to do
- Add the sliced apples, butter, lemon juice, pure maple syrup, ground cinnamon, nutmeg and a pinch of sea salt to a saucepan and heat to medium-high. Cook covered, stirring occasionally, until juices are seeping out of the apples – about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the flour, vanilla extract, and chopped beets. Stir until everything is well combined and flour has dissolved.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly oil a 9-inch square or round baking dish (I used a 9 1/2 inch cast iron oval baking dish).
- Combine all of the ingredients for the crumble topping in a mixing bowl and stir well to combine.
- Transfer the apple-beet filling to the oiled baking dish, then evenly spread the crumble topping on top.
- Bake on the center rack of the oven for 40-50 minutes or until topping is golden-brown and crispy.
- Allow crumble to cool for 15 minutes before serving with your favorite ice cream!
What you’ll Need
3 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons unsalted butter or coconut oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch ground nutmeg
Pinch sea salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons gluten-free all-purpose flour
1 (8.8 ounce) package of Love Beets Organic Cooked Beets, chopped
3/4 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
1/3 cup gluten-free rolled oats
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/3 coconut oil, softened or melted