What to do
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Place the lentils in a saucepan, cover with 3 to 4 inches of water, season generously with salt and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes until tender. Drain the water and return them to the pan.
- While the lentils are cooking, prepare the honey walnuts. Put 3 tablespoons of the honey, chile flakes, turmeric, a ¼ tsp of salt and 1 teaspoon of water in a bowl large enough to contain the nuts and whisk to form a loose paste.
- Add the walnuts and toss to evenly coat. Spread the nuts in an even layer over a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes stirring once halfway through. Remove from the oven when they are golden, crunchy, and still slightly sticky. Once cool, remove from parchment paper and set aside.
To make the dressing:
- Whisk together the vinegar, 3 tablespoons of the oil, the remaining honey, and salt and pepper until combined.
- Stir in half the dressing to the pot of lentils and gently mix to coat. Add the beets to the pot to mix in with the lentils and set aside.
- Cook the radicchio in a large sauté pan with the remaining oil and season with salt, cook for about 2 minutes per side, stirring occasionally until lightly wilted and seared.
- place the lentil-beet mixture, radicchio, walnuts, cheese, and herbs in a serving bowl and pour over the remaining dressing. Lightly toss to distribute and serve warm or at room temperature.
*This salad will keep well covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
What you’ll Need
1 cup green lentils
¼ cup honey
½ tsp chile flakes
½ tsp ground turmeric
1 cup whole walnuts
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
½ tsp Sea salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 8-ounce package of Love Beets organic cooked beets, sliced into chunky wedges
1 small head radicchio, cores and cut into square-ish wedges
3 ounces Pecorino cheese, thinly sliced or shaved
½ cup fresh basil leaves
¼ cup fresh dill, snipped
¼ cup fresh parsley, coarsely chopped