What to do
- In a large Dutch oven or saucepot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat until the oil begins to shimmer in the pan.
- Add the onions, carrots, garlic, and jalapeño and season with salt.
- Stir in the paprika, oregano, cumin, coriander, and chili powder until the vegetables are well coated in the seasonings.
- Add the chickpeas, crushed tomatoes, and vegetable broth to the pot and simmer over moderate heat covered for 25 to 30 minutes to let the chili deepen in flavor.
- Add in the beets in the last 10 minutes of cooking to lightly stain and sweeten the chili. Taste to adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- To serve, ladle the chili into individual bowls, and serve hot with sour cream or favorite non-dairy alternative, radish slices, avocado, cilantro, toast, etc.
What you’ll Need
¼ cup avocado oil or extra-virgin olive oil
1 large sweet onion, diced small
1 jalapeno, diced small
4 carrots, diced small
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon coriander
½ tsp chili powder
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
2 ½ cups vegetable stock
2 (8.8-ounce) packages Love Beets Organic Cooked Beets
1 avocado, sliced
2-3 radishes, thinly sliced