What to do
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar, syrup, and beet puree and cook over medium-high heat covered with a lid, for about 8 minutes. Remove lid and let the caramel continue to boil until it reaches 275 degrees F.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk, coconut oil, salt, and Love Beets beet powder once it has reached 275 F and then continue to cook until the caramel reaches 245 degrees F.
- Carefully pour the hot caramel into a heat safe bowl, and let cool for 5 minutes while preparing the apples.
- Make sure your apples are dry after rinsing. Place branches or popsicle sticks inserted into the centers of each stem end of the apple. Set the apples on a parchment lined sheet pan. Dip the apples in the caramel and set on the parchment.
- Before the caramel has set, add desired toppings and enjoy!
Note: If the caramel starts to set you can add a few splashes of warm milk or place back in a saucepot to re-heat.
What you’ll Need
2 cups white sugar
¼ cup golden syrup or organic light corn syrup
¾ cup Love Beets Organic Cooked Beets, (pureed with the water)
½ cup water
1 cup coconut milk sweetened condensed milk (from one 11.25 oz. can)
½ cup coconut oil
½ tsp salt
13 small Gala or Honeycrisp apples, preferably unwaxed and rinsed
Natural sticks, branches, popsicle sticks, or chopsticks
Toasted coconut flakes
White chocolate chips
Coarse sprinkling sugar or raw turbinado sugar
Anything that sprinkles!