What to do
Make the Filling:
- Heat a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the oil, onion, and garlic and cook until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery root, celery, thyme, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the flour and mix well to evenly coat. Let the flour cook out for 6 to 7 minutes, then pour over the wine and vegetable broth, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to lift up any browned bits. Bring the mixture to a full simmer and cook until the filling has slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the diced beets and stir to combine. Cover and remove from heat while preparing crust.
Make the Crust:
- Combine the flour and salt in mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add in the diced butter and using a pastry cutter or fork, cut the butter into the flour. Add the ice water 1 tbsp at a time until the dough just barely comes together in one mass. Gather any loose scraps, form the dough into a disc, and transfer to a work surface.
- Lightly dust the dough with flour and using a rolling pin, roll out to about ¼ inch thick. Use a knife, pizza cutter, or cookie cutter to cut into desired shapes the size of your ramekins.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and arrange the ramekins on a baking sheet. Spoon the pie filling into the ramekins and use a spatula to transfer the crusts to top the ramekins. Use a knife to create small slits or holes and bake for 32 to 35 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling along the sides and the crusts are golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
*Pies will keep well covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 days.
What you’ll Need
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 large yellow or red onion, finely diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups carrots, peeled and finely chopped
2 cups celery root, diced
1 cup celery, peeled and finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh thyme
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup dry white wine
3 cups vegetable broth
1 (8.8oz) package Love Beets Organic Cooked Beets, diced
1½ cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp sea salt
½ cup + 2 tbsp vegan butter
4 to 5 tbsp ice water