What to do
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a medium size bowl, combine the sugar with the molasses. Mix well with fork or fingers until molasses is completely distributed into the sugar.
- Add in butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, oats and mix well until a crumble texture forms. Gently fold in chopped beets. Set aside.
- Using a pairing knife, cut a circle into the top of each apple about 3/4 way down into the apple. Remove top pieces with the knife, then use a spoon to dig in and scoop out the apple core. This will take a little arm work. The more you scoop, more filling can be stuffed inside! Larger apples work best.
- Once cores are removed, scoop the filling into each apple. Press down and stuff in until it fills just over the top of the apple.
- In a pie dish or square baking dish, place the stuffed apples side by side. Pour apple cider or apple juice at the bottom of the dish. This is a crucial step or the bottom of the apples will burn!
- Bake for 45 minutes until apples are just soft and top is bubbling and juicy.
- While the apples are baking, prepare the caramel sauce. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine coconut milk and maple syrup. Bring to a slow boil, be careful to keep an eye out, this will over-boil fast! Once a boil, turn down heat to low and let simmer for 30-35 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. The mixture will be thick and bubbling when ready, and will turn a dark amber color. Once ready, remove from heat and add in coconut oil, vanilla and sea salt. Let cool for 10 minutes to thicken.
- One apples are ready and caramel is thickened, pour over top of apples. Save the rest for serving!
- Baked apples store in the fridge for up to 7 days. Caramel sauce stores in an airtight container in fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Serve apples with chopped toasted pecans, vanilla ice cream or yogurt. Enjoy!
What you’ll Need
4 Large Apples (Fiji, Honeycrisp, Pink Lady), rinsed and dried
2/3 cup Love Beets Organic Cooked Beets, chopped
1/2 cup coconut sugar, maple sugar or brown sugar
1/2 tsp molasses
6 Tbsp non dairy butter or grass fed butter, softened
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/2 cup old-fashioned whole rolled oats
Optional 2 Tbsp toasted pecans
3/4 cup apple cider or apple juice, or warm water
Salted Caramel Sauce:
1 14oz can full fat coconut milk or coconut cream
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
2 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt