What to do
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of masa harina and a pinch of salt, set aside.
- Using a food processor or high powered blender, blend 1 package of Love Beets Organic Cooked Beets until smooth adding 1-2 tablespoons of water to aid blending.
- Whisk together 1 cup of pureed Love Beets and 1⁄2 cup of hot water.
- Slowly pour pureed beets into masa mixture and gently stir until a dough forms. If the tortilla dough is wet and sticky, add a teaspoon of masa harina. If the dough is dry and crumbly, add a teaspoon of water. Cover with a towel and set aside for 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the salmon spices.
- Pat salmon filets dry with a paper towel and place in a parchment lined baking dish. Generously sprinkle each filet with the seasoning mix. Depending on the size of filets, there may be leftover seasoning mix. Squeeze juice of 1⁄2 a lime over the filets and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. If time allows, let marinade for 30-60 minutes.
- Bake the salmon for 15- 20 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 145° F.
- While salmon bakes, prep salsa. In a bowl mix together the diced mango, diced Love Beets, bell pepper, red onion, cilantro, jalapeño, lime zest, and lime juice. Season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste.
- Add the avocado crema ingredients to a high powered blender or food processor and blend until smooth and silky. Season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste. Pour into a small bowl and set aside.
- Check the tortilla dough’s hydration by gently pressing it with your fingertip, it should be neither wet or dry.
- Scoop a heaping tablespoon of dough into the palm of your hand and gently roll it into a small ball. Using a tortilla press, wide bottomed bowl, or pie dish lined with plastic wrap, press the dough flat with firm, even pressure. The tortilla will be about 6” across. Carefully pull the tortilla from the plastic wrap, set it aside, and cover with a towel. Repeat the process until no dough remains, yielding 16- 20 tortillas.
- Place a cast iron pan or skillet over high heat, until pan is extremely hot. Working in batches, place tortillas on the skillet. Cook 2-3 minutes on the first side, until the edges are dark and the top looks cooked. To encourage bubbling, gently knead the tortilla with your finger tips. Flip and allow to cook for an additional 15-30 seconds. Set aside and wrap in a towel to keep warm.
- To assemble the tacos, gently flake the salmon apart and top with Love Beets beet mango salsa, avocado crema, fresh cilantro, and squeeze of lime juice.
What you’ll Need
Pink Beet Tortillas
2 cups masa harina
1- 8.5 oz pkg Love Beets Organic Cooked Beets
1⁄2 cup water
pinch of salt
Beet Mango Salsa
1 large or 2 small mangos, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
1⁄2 – 8.5 oz pkg Love Beets White Wine Marinated Baby Beets or Organic Cooked Beets, diced
1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1⁄4 cup red onion, diced
1 jalapeño, about 3 tbsp, finely chopped
zest of 1 lime
juice of 1 lime
1⁄2 tsp salt
freshly cracked pepper, to taste
4 salmon filets
1 1⁄2 tsp chili powder
1⁄2 tsp cumin
1⁄2 tsp smoked paprika
1⁄2 tsp garlic powder
3⁄4 tsp salt
1⁄4 tsp dried oregano
1⁄4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
juice of 1⁄2 lime
extra virgin olive oil
1 ripe avocado
1⁄4 cup sour cream or canned coconut milk
2 tbsp olive oil
juice of 1 lime
salt & pepper to taste